Unless you live under a rock, I’m sure you’ve heard the term “thirsty”.
There is even a term “Thirsty AF”- which is similar to thirsty except, you’re like really, really thirsty. It’s in all the rap songs. And honestly with a background in nutrition, I couldn’t be more pleased with attention being brought to hydration. It’s about time pop culture tackled an ongoing health campaign.
Okay I’m obviously being facetious, but….
Hydration is key to overall health. Every inch of your body utilizes water in some way from your cells, to your organs, water is literally pumping life through you. Water has many jobs including; lubricating joints, regulating body temperature, carrying nutrients to your cells, aiding in digestion, and removing waste.
Unfortunately, many of us do not get adequate water throughout the day. The daily recommendation is 6-8 cups a day. And depending on your lifestyle, it may be more than that. I know that sounds like a lot, but when you compare it to how many glasses of wine you can throw back… I promise you can do it.
Below I have listed 5 tips (some of them sneakier than others) to ensure you are getting enough water throughout the day.
- Add a flavor! Infused waters are all the rage right now, start by adding citrus or even some herbs. It will add a surprising hint of flavor. If you have a sweet tooth they make water flavors with stevia, so your water will taste like raspberry lemonade or strawberry kiwi. Try them out!
- Track your water intake. Sometimes all it takes is brining your attention to it. There are multiple apps out there that can help you track your water. An example is Daily Water. Or set a timer on your phone to remind you to hydrate.
- Eat more foods with higher water content. Examples are cucumber, watermelon, lettuce, celery, oranges, peppers, spinach, pretty much eat a lot of veggies and fruit and you will be hydrating and eating.
- Drink a cup of water right before your meal. This also helps with overeating so it’s a win-win!
- Order a fancy water bottle from Amazon. You can’t drink water if you don’t have it near, right?! Well buy that cute water bottle and it will be the perfect accessory to life and hydration will never be more than an elbow’s reach away.
I know personally I was guilty of not drinking enough water. I started noticing aches, pains, tired all the time, and constantly hungry. So I started carrying around a water bottle with me and ever since I’ve been drinking at least 90 ounces a day. All of those above symptoms “miraculously” disappeared. Should I have been surprised? Absolutely not, after all 60% of our bodies are made up of water.
If you’re feeling the same, lack of hydration could be the culprit. Try out some of these ways to get more water in your life and reap the rewards of good ole H20.